Saturday, November 20, 2010

Here in Calgary

So I’m blogging from here in Calgary, Canada! My first post here from Calgary! Wooohoooo!!!

And yeah, those mid-year resolutions I made? Probably not gonna happen. =(

Well, things and situations changed pretty quickly the moment we got our visas, and we were rushing and preparing for so many things, and the moment we got here, we just had more to do! With finding a place to live in, getting our health cards and other important documents, signing up for classes, getting a job, buying winter clothes and everything else!

I haven’t had the time to cook! Much less cook vegetarian! =( Sad to say, we’ve been eating a lot more meat now than we did in Malaysia. Partly because it’s easier to cook, partly because I seem to be craving for more fats and oils, to keep warm, coz it’s really cold here!

It’s –18 degrees C now, and it’d been snowing the last couple of days! Which is really fun and exciting, except I wish we could have the snow without the cold! LOL!

There are a lot of other things going on, in terms of settling into our lives here, that’s made it pretty difficult for me to work on the other stuff I wanted to do, like NaNoWriMo and exercising.

I must say now, looking back at the last few months, I was quite naive, thinking that we could settle in as quickly as I thought we would. It’s 3 months we’ve been here, and I think from what we’ve experienced so far, it’s going to be at least a year or two before we actually really settle! It’s been a really HUGE change! And it’ll take a while for us to get used to the weather and being on our own and the lifestyle and culture here… Also finding out where to buy the things that we need and other stuff like that.

We’re obviously not going to be 80% vegetarian as long as we need to eat the meat for warmth! There *are* people who are 100% vegetarians thriving in winter though, so I know there is a way, but until it’ll take some time for us to educate ourselves about these info, and in the meantime, we’ll just have to eat what we can get. And like I mentioned before, because we’ve been so busy with work and studies and other necessary things, sometimes we don’t even have the time to cook, and we need to eat whatever we can find when we’re in a rush.

It will take a while.

But I am optimistic and loving every lesson I’m learning!

Things *are* settling, slowly but surely, and eventually one day, we’ll just suddenly realize that we’ve got everything finally, settled! I hope! LOL!

had thought that we’d be able to document everything from the time we got our visas until we get settled in, but obviously, we were so busy we didn’t get the chance to document as much as we wanted. But I’ll post and update as much as I can, when I can!

Loving every day! =D

1 comments:

SarcasticMuse said...

Hey Betty, I was having trouble commenting on your other blog so I came here. I just wanted to welcome you to my reading challenge and I hope that you have a lot of fun with it.