Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Dreams vs Reality

Steve Irwin's unexpected death recently made me re-think certain things. How many of us will not be afraid of dying tomorrow and not having done the things we always wanted to do? I'm sure many people have already said this, but I'll say it again, Steve Irwin lived doing the things he loved, and he died doing the things he loved. It happened so fast, and he probably didn't even realize he was dying, but if he did, he would've thought to himself, 'I have no regrets, I've lived my life to the fullest everyday of my life, doing what I loved and contributing something to the world.'

How many of us would be able to say this if we were to die tomorrow? I sure can't. I haven't done the things I really want to do. Granted, I'm only 23 years old, and Steve was 44, if I'm not mistaken. He had 21 more years than me to acheive the things he did. But then again, I'm sure there are a lot of child prodigies who acheived what they wanted when they were 10!

The point here being, although I may very well live to be a 100, I could just as well die in a freak accident tomorrow. Life is such a fragile thing, how would you know when it's your time to go. I could say, I've got plenty of time to live my dreams, I'm only 23, I'll start living my dreams when I retire at 40. Who's to say I will live to see 40?

I know what I want to do. I've had this conflict in me for the longest time. I chose not to live my dream now, and to live in reality. I used to be a dreamer, but I'm the most f***ing realistic person you can find today. And it hurts me like hell, but I'm going to continue living in reality for now. I may die tomorrow and never get a chance to make my dreams come true, but this is the f***ing real world, and this is my choice. I'm dealing with it.

I will make it happen though, you just wait.

0 comments: