Friday, September 01, 2006

Left Behind

Today was a *really* challenging day for me. And not in the way that you'd think too. It was really challenging going through today staying awake, because I totally did not get any sleep last night. Not much happened today otherwise. Just went out to meet some friends and hung out awhile.

Ok, anyway...the reason I didn't get enough sleep was partly coz I was so engrossed in a book that I totally did not think I would like at all. :P

The Left Behind series by Tim Lahaye and Jerry Jenkins.

Click on the image to see amazon reviews.

Yes....the christian fiction that was all hyped up in the 90's. Imagine! Me! Hooked!

Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with a lot of their premise and theories and whatever, but as far as good stories go, this is one of the best. As long as you know it's FICTION! I totally don't agree that Christianity is the real path, I totally don't believe that God will leave any of us behind just becoz we weren't Christians, that's like total bullshit. It's a great book, it's a great story, very imaginative and all that, but this only gives those dogmatic Christians another reason to be dogmatic. I mean, come on, it wasn't just the non-Christians who were left behind, but the Christians who weren't *true* Christians, who didn't believe enough(according to the story), were left behind too! They are in effect, telling all the 'good' Christians that they would be left behind if they didn't start being dogmatic too. :P I wonder if churches were encouraging their followers to read this book and take it literally.

Honestly, I am enjoying the book, but at the same time, I'm outraged by what they're implying too. I have so many thoughts running through my head reading this series. I'm still reading the first book, and there are ELEVEN more to go! I'm gonna get broke coz of this. :P I'll come back with a more detailed review next time, I guess. But just as long as we're clear on this. I'm enjoying the book, very much in fact, but I'm taking it as a SCI-FI/FANTASY novel! Which it is anyway. :P

If you take it any other way, it's really quite offensive to the rest of us non-Christians. As if all of us will go to hell if we don't start believing and converting or whatever. I believe God is better than that. Oh well, this was a controversial book anyway, and I just had to read it to see what the hype was about. I'm surprised I ended up hooked, but it doesn't mean I like what they're saying, I just like the way they're telling the story. :P

Ok, that's all I'll say for now, I'm still in the middle of the book, so I'll come back later when I've finished it. I reserve the right to change my opinion after I finish the book and/or the whole series. :P

0 comments: