Thursday, February 01, 2007

About Baby and Babies...

My puppy Baby hasn't been feeling well for the last week. She'd been acting weird and anxious, which of course made *us* anxious. She had been hiding in corners in the house, carrying her squeaky toy everywhere she went, and getting fidgety when the toy was out of her sight. She wasn't as hyper as she usually was, and didn't rush to let us pet her whenever we called, which is highly unusual because she was the most 'manja' dog, and always always wanted attention.

I suspected that she may be pregnant, so I went online to check the symptoms and it seemed that signs of pregnancy were 'nesting' behaviour and 'adopting a toy', which Baby certainly had, hiding in particular corners with her toy and not wanting to come out.

However, I did note that it could be just false pregnancy, which wasn't uncommon, and since Baby wasn't eating much, it was the more likely case.

I took her to the vet today for a check up, to see if she was pregnant and/or sick, since she was getting very thin after not eating much for the last couple of days. She was actually going to get spayed this month, but if she's pregnant obviously I couldn't do that right now.

I was a little confused as to how I felt about her being pregnant, or not. On the one hand, I loved little puppies, and I was sure Baby's babies would be beautiful and have great personalities, and I know a couple of friends who might want Baby's pups too. On the other hand, if Baby has too many pups, I didn't know if I could find homes for all of them, or if I'd even be able to let them go, and it would give me a whole lot more work to care for them which I don't have the time for right now. So I kinda wanted puppies, but I kinda didn't want them either. Confused, huh.

Well, it's a moot point anyway, coz she's not pregnant. It was just a hormonal imbalance thing, and the vet gave me some antibiotics to help clear up her uterus and to get her appetite back up. I'm a little relieved that she's not pregnant, and kinda disappointed at the same time. LOL! Can't make up my mind!

But anyway, as long as Baby gets better and gets back to her normal self in a couple of days, I'm happy. She's the most beautiful little thing in the world, who's ridiculously camera-shy, so I don't have many good pix of her, she's always turning away as I'm taking the pic.

Anyone has any idea how to cure her of that? =P

0 comments: