Sunday, April 01, 2007

Appreciation

It's only when I take a look around me at what other people are going through, that I realize just how lucky I am to have found you.

Perhaps I am too demanding, I ask a lot of you, and of course no one is perfect, and no relationship is perfect... and maybe my mistake is that I keep focusing on the imperfections. But when I look around, and see things in perspective, I realize that I am the luckiest girl in the world to have you.

When I was 18, someone gave me this advice which I never forgot: "Do whatever you want, as long as you're happy and you don't hurt anyone else."

I've only met her once, and I don't even remember her name, but her one simple sentence changed my life more than anything else. Whenever I am in a dilemma, whenever I'm not sure what to do, or what path to choose, I remember what she said; "Do whatever you want, as long as you're happy and you don't hurt anyone else."

That one sentence made me a less judgmental person, more open-minded and accepting of other people's principles and values, and it made me more willing to try new things.

Most importantly, it made me realize, we are meant to be happy in our lives. It is the one ultimate answer to the big question; "Why are we here? What is our purpose on earth?"

The answer; "To be happy."

It's so simple. Yet most of us forget that. Even me.

But not when I'm with you. You make me happy. Even when we're arguing, you make me happy that it's you I'm arguing with. Good times, bad times, crazy times...it doesn't matter. I'm happy because I'm sharing them with you.

I'm grateful for your unwavering faith in me and in our relationship. You'll never know just how much I appreciate your confidence and your certainty that this, "us" is what you want for the rest of your life. You'll never know just how much I appreciate your strengh and determination not to let go of what we have, imperfections and all.

It's not easy to be with me, I know more than anyone else how demanding I can be. But you rose to the occasion, you lived up to all my expectations and more. You know this already, but I'll tell you again anyway, you're one in a million, my diamond in the rough.

Love you. =)

0 comments: