Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Letting Go and Moving On

In my previous post, I said that I used to be dreamy until reality kicked in.

What not many people know is what I went through to get from dreamy, sweet little girl, to realistic, take-no-shit adult.

Painful life lessons are always...well, painful, and definitely not fun, but nevertheless, they are such an integral part of growing up. And you know, the sooner you realize that, the less you hurt.

When I see people around me suffering and hurting because of situations they are stuck in, I think to myself, 'this was how I used to be.'

I let myself get stuck in situations that hurt, and kept hurting, because I was too afraid to let go. Keyword here: Let go.

I stayed in bad relationships with guys I knew were bad for me, who I knew weren't worth my time or effort, who didn't deserve my time or effort, simply because I was too afraid to let go, I was too afraid to get out of my comfort zone.

People say, "Better the devil you know." I say, "Better the devil you don't know." Coz it just might turn out better, you really wouldn't know til you try, would you? While you already know *for sure* that the results won't be good when you go with the devil you know.

I wasted so many years and even more tears, waiting for something to change, waiting for things to get better... Trust me, it's not worth it.

Don't spend your life waiting for something to happen. Don't spend your life *forcing* things to happen.

Just live your life. Let go! Move on! If it's meant to be, it'll come back to you. Don't live your life waiting for it to come back. Let go for real! If it doesn't come back, well then, you'll have something much better, I guarantee it! You can't accept a gift if your hands are still full of last year's rubbish.

Don't waste your life living in the past, or dreaming about the future. Live in the now!

Jack Canfield once said something so simple but so very profound; when you're driving late at night with only your headlights to guide you, you can't see the whole stretch of road from your location to your destination. You can only see thirty feet in front of you, but you trust that you will get to your destination, because the road unfolds to you every thirty feet of the way.

That's just like life. Don't worry if you don't know the way. It will be revealed to you, every thirty feet of the way. Take each thirty feet at a time, you don't have to worry about the whole 20-50 kilometres, you *will* reach your destination.

I used to be afraid of letting go. Now, if I find myself in a situation that's not good for me, I know I have the courage to let go.

This goes for everything! Not just boy-girl relationships, but any relationship at all!

If you have a friend who makes your worst enemy look like your fairy-godmother, let her go. If you have a job which makes your spirit shrivel up, let it go. If you can't move forward in your life because you're still living in the past, let it go!

Of coz, this isn't an excuse for commitment-phobic people to let go of all their commitments. Come on, I assume my readers are smart enough to know what I mean.

Bottom line here is... Let go of anything that causes you pain, and move forward. Move on and live your life! I only have one philosophy in life, "Do whatever you want, as long as you're happy and you don't intentionally hurt anyone, including yourself."

I'm happy. But it took me a long time to get here. Don't waste anymore of your own time.

0 comments: